Logistics & Distribution Site Manager – Wijchen
Edwin Tuyn | 1 February 2021
Beckman Coulter is an American company with multiple locations around the world that makes biomedical laboratory instruments. They are a world leader in clinical diagnostics and life science research, dedicated to advancing and optimizing the clinical laboratory. They also help laboratory and other healthcare professionals provide better patient care by delivering the accurate diagnostic information they need, when they need it.
In today’s healthcare environment, supporting the goals of medical practices, hospitals and health networks delivering high quality patient care, improving the health of populations and reducing the costs of healthcare is paramount. Beckman Coulter’s comprehensive and unique range of diagnostic solutions, clinical data management tools and proven process management expertise is their contribution. These solutions help healthcare professionals assess, diagnose and monitor conditions from cardiac disease to metabolic functions, blood disorders, infectious disease, cancer and more. They provide reliable and robust solutions to enable effective and efficient diagnosis, improving healthcare around the globe. Researchers use Beckman Coulter’s precision instruments to study complex biological problems, including causes of disease and potential new treatments. They have laboratory customers in a wide variety of settings: universities, government, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, and commercial laboratories. Around the world, more than 275,000 Beckman Coulter systems operate in both Diagnostics and Life Sciences laboratories.
Beckman Coulter adopted their current name in April 1998, changing from Beckman Instruments, Inc. to Beckman Coulter, Inc. to reflect the October 1997 acquisition of Coulter Corporation. Being headquartered in Brea, California Beckman Coulter has now more than 11,000 global associates working diligently to make the world a healthier place.
In January 2018, Beckman Coulter moved to a brand-new facility in Nijmegen, outsourced to DHL Supply Chain where about 15,000m2 warehouse space is dedicated to Beckman Coulter.
The Logistics & Distribution Site Manager will have the overall responsibility for the management of all site activities at the NEF (Northern Europe Finished Goods) Beckman distribution facility. Leading the NEF team, ensuring positive engagement, wellbeing and productivity, he/she will be the primary owner of On Time Delivery target for NEF site. Being responsible for seamless execution of all tasks related to inbound, inventory, storage and outbound materials, maintaining agreed metrics and adhering to financial budget. He/she will act as a Champion of the relationship with our 3PL distribution provider and facilitating further efforts to create a seamless one team approach. Maintain compliance with ISO, IATA, OSHA, FAA, FDA Guidelines and internal Danaher regulatory requirements.
Annually about 160,000 orders are shipped and all transport modalities are used including Dangerous Goods and Cold Chain up to -80°C. Orders are shipped mainly to Northern European countries but the Wijchen location also ships to tier 2 DC’s globally. You lead a small team of 4 Beckman Coulter staff while indirectly about 120 DHL staff work at the Beckman Coulter operation. This position reports to the Senior Logistics & Distribution Manager Europe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Management and maintenance of local office from a facilities perspective ensuring the highest standard of safety, ergonomics and comfort for all Beckman associates;
• Management and engagement of local Beckman team to complete all duties allocated to them;
• Develop and drive the roadmap towards best in class KPI’s around Quality, Service and Cost for the NEF site;
• Work with Senior Manager Europe and DHL team to define and set the annual budget for distribution expense at NEF;
• Work with the 3PL to find opportunities for cost reduction and efficiencies and reflect that in annual budget;
• Partner with our Finance team to measure and assess our monthly trend spends and ensure we adhere to budget;
• Partner with the Europe DBSLead to execute the continuous improvement roadmap utilizing DBS methodology;
• Own and run the Kaizen funnel for the NEF site;
• Be the point of reference for any unresolved issues concerning our distribution operations;
• Develop strong and positive relationships with the functional leaders of Transportation, Quality, Customer Service and Commercial teams;
• Produce and share NEF performance data on a regular cadence with all key partners.
During the first period there will be a strong focus towards people management / leadership and building a team with the current 4 staff members of which are recent hires. Strong root cause analyses and quick action-oriented improvements not only within the warehouse operation but also towards an optimal order flow are also on the list of first objectives.
The ideal candidate should have:
• Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, Logistics or business administration;
• APICS certification is a nice to have;
• Approx. 10 years of experience in high volume warehousing, logistics or supply chain operations;
• Excellent people management skills: hiring, developing talents and drive continuous improvement;
• Experienced manager of 3PL operations and relationships;
• Used to work in matrix organizations and with a large variety of stakeholders;
• Proactive approach, taking initiative;
• Ability to manage time effectively, to prioritize and handle multiple tasks;
• Good communication skills;
• Team player and problem solver, able to work under high pressure;
• Motivated to work in an international environment
• Strong customer focus and service oriented;
• Experience with OBI, SAP or equivalent;
• Advanced in operating systems usage (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.);
• Proficient in English; any other European language is a plus;
• Travelling may be required for training or educational purposes.
Edwin Tuyn, Managing Partner Inspired-Search
firstname.lastname@example.org | +31 654908052